Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Paul LaTour, Idiot

OK, so maybe I'm not an idiot. But you be the judge.

When I started this blog I intended to be very honest in my posts, even if it was less than flattering. Which brings me to today's post, which is basically a rebuttal from yesterday's post.

The woman I spoke with today at the state employment security office told me I have to claim every dollar I make while collecting unemployment benefits. It's what at least one of my fellow unemployed sports writers told me last week. But I didn't want to believe him.

Now I'm stuck with two state employees telling me one thing (freelance money does not count against my benefits) and one saying another (every dollar must be claimed). Obviously, I'm going to be cautious about this and go with the woman's advice today.

I guess it's too much to ask that this particular issue would actually be specifically addressed in the handbook. Instead I'm left to the mercy of low-level government officials and their interpretations. Guess I'm back to the blind-leading-the-blind theory from an earlier post.

Sorry no jokes today.

2 comments:

  1. You're not an idiot. You're one of the many of the masses dealing with bureaucracy. Get it in writing, from someone. Err on the cautious side. Whatever you don't give can later be taken away. Etc, etc, etc.

    This coming from the person who will be paying for this later if anything is screwed up. I'm having faith that even us math disabled folks can work this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dealing with government agencies is never fun, it happens all the time where one person will tell you one thing only to have another tell you the complete opposite. You are not the idiot the system is.

    ReplyDelete