Friday, July 10, 2009

Weekly Musical Interlude

Way back in the day a friend of mine from high school, Mark, introduced me to some great bands. Bands like the Suburbs, the Replacements and Gang of Four. Problem is, it took me 15 years before I actually listened.

In the early 80s -- back before I really started listening to Springsteen -- I had a pretty horrible taste in music. How bad was it, you ask? Well, I did own this album. My only saving grace is that I never bought an album from these guys.

Anyway, thanks to the wonders of Facebook, I've recently reconnected with Mark. I spent a little time with him last month when I went back to Duluth. And when I go back next week, he and I are going to see the Meat Puppets.

So while I completely missed the boat with the Replacements and others, I'm doing my best to play catch-up. Here's a video from the Meat Puppets playing "Lake of Fire," a song made more famous by Nirvana. Duluth gets mentioned in the lyrics, but good luck catching it with Curt Kirkwood singing!

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment