Saturday, August 1, 2009

Musical Interlude

I guess I can't keep calling these "Weekly" musical interludes when I'm not posting them once a week. Part of the reason is because July was just so hectic I never got around to doing much with my blog.

I spent a few days back in Duluth a couple weeks ago. On my first night there I went to a venue called Pizza Luce to see the Meat Puppets and Retribution Gospel Choir, a three-man band fronted by Duluthian Alan Sparhawk of Low.

While there I marveled at how much my hometown had changed since I moved 10 years ago. I don't remember there being a particularly strong live music scene outside of blues bands and the occasional bar band from Minneapolis that would make its way north. And here was the Meat Puppets cranking through a two-hour set that absolutely destroyed everything in its wake.

When we finally spilled out of Luce at 2 in the morning -- drunk, exhausted concertgoers littering the sidewalk on Superior Street as we walked past -- my friend deadpanned, "Just a typical Wednesday night in Duluth."

Maybe so. But I don't remember many Wednesday nights like that when I lived there. (That could be because Wednesdays were import nights at the Sports Garden and back then beer usually won out over music for me.)

This afternoon I was tooling around the Interwebs and came across another Duluth band, Trampled by Turtles. It's a bluegrass band with five releases to its credit since 2004, including a live EP recorded at Pizza Luce.

This song is the title track from its latest release, 2008's Duluth. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment