Monday, December 28, 2009

What. A. Joke.

Photo credit: Scott Strazzante, Chicago Tribune

Remember when I said how I was going to just enjoy the Vikings season and not worry about the inevitable letdown? Sure you do. I wrote it in a blog entry earlier this month. Right before the 10-1 Vikings turned into the 11-4 Vikings.

As it turns out, I wasn't able to enjoy anything. The collapse came faster than I imagined. In that four-game span the Vikings played themselves right out of contention for home-field advantage in the playoffs and a first-round bye.

Sure, they can still get the No. 2 seed, but now they need the Eagles to lose. Up until Adrian Peterson fumbled and Jay Cutler turned into an actual quarterback tonight, the Vikings were in control of their playoff scenario. Not so anymore.

When they trailed the Bears 23-6 in the third quarter I vowed to turn the game off and not watch the Vikings again this season. I was fed up. Then Brett Favre and the offense woke up and rallied to force overtime with an impressive fourth-quarter comeback that included two game-tying drives in the final six minutes.

But the special teams and defense again showed how they are not to be trusted. A team in serious contention for a Super Bowl does not have glaring weaknesses like the ones exposed by the Cardinals, Panthers and Bears. Oh my!

Now I don't know what to do. On one hand, not watching the season finale against the Giants will free up my Sunday. I could spend the day reading or something. On the other, I feel oddly compelled to watch the implosion, much the same way people can't resist gawking at a car crash.

Maybe I should just hope Los Angeles can lure the team away from Minnesota. That way I won't have to feel guilty when I declare allegiance to the Bears*.

* -- This statement was made in anger. I reserve the right to rescind it at a future time.

No comments:

Post a Comment